Sunday, January 01, 2006

Parents Meeting Session

Happy 2006!
Glasses

Today DC's parents met my parents at my place to discuss about the wedding essentials. Although this is not the first time DC's parents visited my parents (we live in the same neighbourhood, our parents always met by chance while marketing or at the lift lobby), I couldn't help but to feel nervous... I woke up especially early to get myself ready even though I knew they would be coming only after 1pm.

To me, getting married is no small issue, it's a lifelong commitment. I don't want to take any chances. I would do whatever it takes to make sure the marriage will last?.. even if it means performing traditional chinese rituals that don't seem to make any sense, but of course, these are subjected to our parents' wishes. ;P

The discussion went on very smoothly, both sides wanted it to be a fairly simple affair... there were no fierce negotiation of details such as the amount of dowry and banquet size. An auspicious date was selected for the presentation of the betrothal gifts to the bride's family. Both DC and I know nothing about the chinese wedding customs, so we listened on throughout... As understand from the elderly, the gifts usually include a dowry of a token sum of money, different combinations of jewellery (for example, the 4 items of bracelet, earrings, necklace and ring), bridal cakes, mandarin oranges and liquor. Some more traditional families (just like mine) will include two pairs of candles, one in the likeness of a dragon and the other a phoenix.

I've also learnt that betrothal gifts are not entirely kept by the bride's family... Some will be returned to the groom's family, such as the pair of phoenix candles, and a few boxes of bridal cakes. The rest of the cakes are distributed along to the bride's relatives and friends, as part of the invitation. Interesting isn't it?

It was also pointed out by DC's parents that it is a Cantonese tradition for the bride's family to provide the groom with a new pair of pants... this sounds quite senseless to me...

Anyway, after this meeting, it's time for my parents to get busy (with the preparation) lor...

No comments: